05 January, 2007

What I would do if I won the lottery

I was thinking about this today, and I think that this question has less to do with what I would spend the money on and more to do with how I would choose to live my life if money were no object.

I think that after I did all of the obligatory things (pay off debt, max out retirement contributions for the year, go on a spending spree, etc, etc) that I would take a lot of time for myself to enjoy life for awhile by playing video games and traveling...and then I would start teaching.

Not teaching for a paycheck (although that might happen anyway) but teaching for the sake of teaching. I want to educate young people on personal finance matters, and help them prepare for life after they leave the nest and enter the real world. I could be a great teacher, and there is quite simply a TON of things that I could teach young people that would be more useful to them in their everyday lives than say...basic chemistry or calculus.

The other option that I might consider doing is "fee based financial planner". I ENJOY managing money, creating budgets and calculating expected returns. It's fun for me. :-) If I didn't have to spend any time worrying about my own financial situation, then I think I would like to take the time to help other people with theirs.

The only reason that I'm not pursuing either of these careers right now is because being in the military doesn't allow me to change career paths like that, and because I would be very uncomfortable either creating a basic finance class or financial planning business without significant funds to rely on for basic bills. In other words, my financial security has not yet been secured enough to where I would feel comfortable taking that risk.

What about you? What would you do if money were no object? What would you occupy your time with if you didn't HAVE to have a job to pay the bills?

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home